It’s spring, time to get your property ready for market
The winter can be a difficult time to sell your home. If you’ve been sat restlessly during the cold months, hoping for a sale – or at least a steady trickle of viewers – you’re probably glad that spring is just around the corner.
The property market always picks up as the spring comes around, so why not freshen your home up with a little spring-cleaning to boost your chances of making a sale? Here are our favourite tips to refresh your home and get more buyers interested:
- Dust everything. You’ve probably let some dust settle over the winter months, and now is the perfect time to wipe everything off and make it look like new again. Dust every surface and make sure you get into every nook and cranny. Pick items you leave on the worktop up and give them a wipe over – and don’t forget to clean underneath them too! Move your furniture to clean the floors underneath too. A clean home that’s well looked after is infinitely more appealing to buyers
- Polish your windows. There’s nothing quite like sparkling clean windows to make the exterior of your home look fresh and new now the spring sunshine is here. Invest in some quality window-cleaning kit, such as a squeegee and a scrubber. Add a squirt of washing-up liquid to a bucket of warm water, and away you go! Be careful if you use this technique indoors, as you don’t want to end up with wet floorboards or carpets.
- Clean your carpets thoroughly. This doesn’t just mean vacuuming the rooms as you would on a regular Sunday afternoon. It also means hiring an industrial carpet cleaner to get the really ingrained muck out, which you might not even notice if you’ve become used to it. If you wear shoes in the home or have a pet dog, your carpets could undoubtedly do with a deep clean. When you vacuum afterwards, make sure you move the furniture to get underneath it, and work your way into the corners of rooms too.
- Wash your curtains and bed linen. Clean curtains and bed linen help to add a feeling of freshness and brightness to rooms. It’s a good idea to use neutral coloured fabrics, so pick out your most calming bed sheets. If you have bright or busy curtains, you might want to consider picking up some plainer ones so that viewers won’t be put off. Neutrals allow potential buyers to imagine their own colour schemes more easily.
- Pick up and put away. If your house looks like a bomb-site right now, sweep through and put everything back where it belongs. If you really want to sell, and sell soon, then consider short-term storage as a de-cluttering solution. Create storage space by freeing up cupboards that contain things that are not in regular use, and then you can clear more surfaces. This will show off the space in your home and make it more desirable.
Follow these simple steps for a stress-free spring clean which will wow potential buyers as soon as they walk through the door. Freshly cut flowers will work a treat too.
Thanks to our friends at Robert Holmes estate agents for this guest post.